ANC concerned about mass withdrawal symptoms as Oscar trial ends

The ruling African National Congress says it is concerned that South Africans will suffer withdrawal symptoms following the conclusion of the Oscar Pistorius trial.

The statement, published on the party’s website on Wednesday, said the ANC had already received hundreds of complaints from members who say “regular programming on SABC radio and television would not be able to compete with the daily intrigue of the trial.”

“We understand the trial gave South Africans a sense of purpose in a time of severe unemployment and boredom,” the statement said. “Hot on the heels of the loss of Generations, our people are bereft.”

Oscar Pistorius was found guilty of culpable homicide for the killing of his girl friend, Reeva Steenkamp on February 14, 2013. He was sentenced on Tuesday to five years in prison.

The ANC said it would be launching a series of campaigns to assist people in getting on with their lives, including a helpline.

“We have also asked the journalists to continue tweeting as if they are still at the courthouse, because it will keep people at ease,” the statement said.

 

Abu O’Well is an almost an award-winning satirist with the Daily Vox. Read more of his writing here.

– Featured image via Wikimedia Commons

 

You might also like More from author

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.