Everything you need to know about NSFAS (2018)

The second week of January has seen many students across the country entering universities and registering for the first time. The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) has already received over 300 000 applications for first-year students for the 2018 academic year, after applications ran from 1 August till 30 November 2017. After the announcement of free higher education for first-year students, there has been a lot of confusion regarding the NSFAS process, so The Daily Vox is breaking it down

Who qualifies for NSFAS now?

The threshold to qualify for financial assistance was raised to R350 000 per annum of combined household income. This has more than doubled from the past figure of R120 000, to account for the ‘missing middle’ students who were previously unaccounted for.

Is there an option to still apply to a university or TVET ?

Yes, but this will be done through the Department of Higher Education and Training’s Central Applications Clearing House (CACH) where you can make late applications.

Will NSFAS open a second application process this year?

NSFAS will not reopen applications in 2018. The organisation says it will work with institutions to “assist with funding decisions for students who have applied for academic spaces without having applied for NSFAS funding and others.” Funding through NSFAS is still possible but must be done through CACH.

Can you still register if you have not yet received funding confirmation from NSFAS?

Yes, but only if you are Sassa beneficiary or have a combined household income of under R350 000 per year.

Will your previous debt be cancelled?

Despite the promise that outstanding student debts would be written off, NSFAS spokesperson Kagisho Mamabolo told EWN that there was no confirmation yet from the government that student debts can or will be scrapped.

Will walk-in registration be possible?

According to Universities South Africa, only universities who do have vacant academic spaces available will process walk-in applications “where there is a match between the candidate’s chosen field of study and the vacant seats”. They also said universities may also require students to use their institutional online application systems.

Read more: All you need to know about NSFAS for 2017

Featured Image by Thomas Kolathu

1. Serutha Joyce says

Why is NSFAS not giving pocket money to students at Capricorn colledge for FET in Seshego and other related campauses.

2. Lihle msuthu says

Does nsfas covers the book allowance and pocket money this year as a busary?

3. Nyanga says

I applied for National Diploma in Safety Management, I was acepted and have not been a NSFAS recepient before, but studied with UNISA in 2004 for a National Certificate, So I am now being told that I have completed a qualification at another institution. Does that mean that I do not qualify?

4. Mpilonhle says

Will Nsfas reopen in 2018 ?
    I need a bursary to study at Unisa i am already study at Unisa but i do not have enough money to continue with my studies and my next kin is not working

Please help me

5. Keneiloe says

Why is Nsfas not providing food allowance for all students at UJ??

6. Keneiloe says

Why is Nsfas not providing food allowance for all students at UJ?

7. QHAWEKAZI IMMACULATE ZUNGU says

I AM A STUDENT AT COASTAL T VET COLLEGE ,FROM 2017 TO DATE .I AM DOING BOILER MAKING AND I’VE BEEN APPLYING FOR NS FAS ,BUT IN VAIN. HOW SHOULD I APPLY TO QUALIFY AND I’M TOLD THAT T VET ‘s ARE GIVEN 100% NSFAS . PLEASE HELP ME.

8. Arctic says

What a joke. This says absolute fuckall

9. Sandile N. Mncube says

I applied for Nsfas during the application re-open for 2018 that was 2017, I received a reference number during 2017 and my status changed to successfully funded at March 2018, no payments have been made by Nsfas. I didn’t get sBux, I paid the deposit so that I will be able to write assignments and be admitted into the exam room, I bought books for my self, now its April next month I will be writing exams. Is Nsfas going to pay my fees or they were just saying when they said I’m successfully funded? I’m Sandile Nonkululeko Mncube from KZN Msinga municipality.

10. Lhoza says

What is being done by NSFAS about the institutions that don’t release funds to students yet it was paid out as early as January by the fund scheme? This is too much for parents who have nothing to do to intervene in this matter.

11. Nomthandazo says

I applied for bursary at school wescol TVET college people received the money but I haven’t received it till today, I applied for it because I need it serious but now I didn’t get even a cent, I don’t have money for transport.

12. Mr. simon says

Good day Friend, anyone looking forward to a Financial help/ Personal Loan or Business Loan assistance should please contact this Email:(oaktreecapital321@hotmail.com)They are 100% reliable.

13. Nande says

If I want to change institutions and courses will nsfas be able to fund me?

14. phomelelo says

may i buy a laptop with my book allowance because our prescribed textbooks are too many and they are not found at book shops and also my lecturers sends slides and i also find it difficult to do assignments due to full or computers that are not working at computer laboratories please

15. SFUNDO says

HI THERE, I AM IN A GAP YEAR. LAST YEAR I WAS STUDYING IN A CERTAIN UNIVERSITY. SO I APPLIED FOR NSFAS AND I GOT THE FUND THIS YEAR IN JUNE. MY QUESTION IS I WILL BE ABLE TO USE THIS FUND NEXT YEAR ?

16. tshivhula phumudzo Happiness says

HI My name is Phumudzo Happiness i applyed for nsfas this year june at Mavhoi TVET college,and nsfas payes
    on july only until today iam still waiting checking my phone every hour hoping to find my sbux. the sadest thing is that
    i am now staying with someone because i was kicked at my room because i was having no money to pay for rent,and now
    this person iam stayin with says i must start buying food and i dont have that money…….what to do

17. MN Futshane says

Hi I am a student at UWC at the beginning of this year I visited the nsfas branch at Wynberg in Cape town ,I wanted to apply and I was told to wait until the varsity opens , which I did exactly that.I am a return student to the same varsity after completing my degree (BA)I was forced to leave the varsity due to my mother ‘s illness who was my beneficiary at the time of my study.,as she was a disability pensioner and she was using her money to help me out. at that we had no money for the books or no travel allowence and no food allowence which i know how to come to came to school empty stomach and no hope what I will eat after school but I survived but only because I know what I I wanted , things becomes more expensive for me my mother condition becomes worse i was just a child then who had no one to turn too since my father passed away at my age of two and half years my fathers brothers refused to take responsibility of us and we had to be on our own with nothing I was the only hope for my Mother that I can change things around and what kills her more I was to see me everyday trying to be strong for her sake . and I was hoping to to get something that will boost my education i looked and applied but there was no luck for me.after my mother passed away I had to play a role of being a mother to my siblings and my sisters children whom was also fighting for her life at hospital.but there was one thing o knew was that i wont give until i get what I wanted .which is why i decided to come back to the same varsity to finish what i had started but untill now there is no response for me from nsfas and it makes wonder.year is almost over now and i had no means to come to varsity and the course I am doing is PGCE soon i will be writting exams does this means i will not graduate in begginning oDecember this year when others do.and this is the chance i can get to pay back nsfas after completing this and get employed.

Please help I know i still owe nsfas for the previous years and I will not run away which is why I came back and ask for your assistace.