How To Access Free Counselling In SA

Seeking and receiving medical attention for mental health doesn’t come cheap despite South Africa being regarded as one of the major countries facing a crisis of mental illness. However, there are some counselling centres and organisations around South Africa that offer free counselling and therapy sessions. Here are eight free counselling centres you can choose from.

LifeLine Johannesburg

Life Line is a nonprofit organisation (NPO) that offers free counselling and 24-hour telephonic counselling for all ages and any issues you are faced with. Life Line centres can be found in Norwood, Soweto, and Alexandra.

LifeLine Western Cape

Like its Johannesburg counterpart, LifeLine Western Cape offers free counselling for all ages groups and have a 09:30 to 22:00 running counselling line. Or you can WhatsApp call them between 10:00 and 14:00 on 063 709 2620.

South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG)

SADAG offers free telephonic counselling sessions from Monday to Sunday between 08:00 to 20:00. This group mainly focuses on dealing with mental illnesses and alleviating the stigma around it. SADAG runs a 16-line counselling and referral call centre and mainly works in urban, peri-urban, and rural areas throughout South Africa. It also has a 24-hour helpline for urgent cases.

Grace Counselling

Grace Counselling is Christian-based organisation that offers a variety of therapy options from dealing with mental health related issues, to dealing with spiritual related issues. It’s based in the north of Durban but it has a few centres and churches spread out throughout Durban.

Revive Counselling Centre

Revive is an NPO based in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape that offers free counselling sessions on issues such as depression and anxiety, suicidal thoughts, and dealing with traumatic experiences. While you are expected to book an appointment, the center has open days on Wednesdays, where you will be assisted even if you have not made a booking. For more information you can contact them on 041 373 8882/3.

Hope House Counselling Centre

Based in Cape Town, Hope House is a Christian organisation that offers therapy sessions for individuals dealing with trauma, mental illness, relationship problems, family problems, and suicide thoughts. You can find their centers in Bergvliet, Tableview, and Kuilsrivier.

IThemba Counselling Centre

Situated in Gauteng, Ithemba House of Hope Counselling Centre seeks to work with poorly-developed communities to help improve the lives of the disadvantaged. The counselling centre also offers support for people struggling with substance abuse.

Featured image via Wikimedia Commons
  1. Charlie says

Would be great if we had more online counseling services.
    Many people do not like face-2-face chats or setting up appointments.
    They want to remain anonymous and hidden.
    I have been searching high and low for sites in South Africa that offer online counseling to cater for the ever growing social media based youth, which is where the most mental health issues can be seen, yet, unless you are able to provide credit card details, or are prepared to read lengthy papers, you cant find a quick chat room to talk out your current issues.

https://www.mobieg.co.za/help/ has one – but its always offline. Its sad.

1. MobieG says

We’re online 5 days a week, every week – from 7pm to 9pm 🙂

Check our site for our online schedule!

2. LifeLine PMB says

LifeLine Pietermaritzburg has a free online email counselling service that is available 24/7. All our clients are typically responded to within 1 working day. The link below is the form you fill out to send in an email: http://www.lifelinepmb.co.za/LLEmailForm.php?v1=rightplace

3. STEPHNIE CROUSE says

MOBIEG has an email response that you can use. We will always answer you and tell you when we are online. The service is free and you may stay anonymous. You can also chat via our Facebook page. We do have a huge campaign currently to solicit funding to be online at least 14 hours per day. We are aware how huge the need is that you are talking about. It is real and we are trying our best to offer more help. 🙂

4. Amanda says

very true. Also these telephonic sessions, im hardly in a private space to talk about personal things. I sometimes feel rushed. Or i feel like someone might be listening in on my conversation

2. Zanele Wardle says

Hy. I am based in Johannesburg. I live with my sister in Malvern Johannesburg. Is there a place where i can get help in my area. Where i dont have to pay for transport. I just feel like i wont make it. I need help. I am scared.

3. Tumelo says

Hi I need help

4. Tseleng Ramarumo says

Hi I need help with marriage counseling

5. GLADYS says

I would like volunteer for free to gain experience

1. Tumi says

Hey Gladys since I saw your reply on volunteering for free on marriage councelling can you also help me with relationships ? Thank you

6. Xolisa says

Am from cape town so where can I get a nearest place

7. Mpho mokete says

Hi where càn I find nearest free councelling I’m from atteridgeville…I just lost a baby two months ago I feel like my life is messed up…pls help

1. Zanele says

Hey Mpho.. I have experienced a similar thing. Maybe we could talk in private if that could help. Hope you are praying and finding strength Sisi. And I am sorry for your Loss.

8. Lizzy says

Hi i am from soweto i would like to know where i ca n get a free counseling as i am not working .i am going through a very toughtimenin my life please help

1. Zanele says

Hi Lizzy, did you find any help around Soweto? If yes please share so that I would be able to join. Hope you are good.

Thanks in advance

9. Rae van Vuuren says

I have experienced a severe beating from my Step daughters boyfriend last Sunday and I am so anxious and traumatized I dont know what to do. I have no medical aid and need help urgently, please let me know whom I could speak to. I am debilitated with fear. I live in Centurion Tswhane

1. Rae van Vuuren says

My daughter was also assaulted she is 36 years old and has two minor children. I am 58 years old

10. Bokamoso says

Hi I need a help I have problem of pleasing friends
    and I end up using all the money that I have to buy
    alcohol for me and friends plz help

11. Yasmin says

I am a mum seeking help for my kids I don’t live with them

12. Thato Manyako says

Hi I have a baby boy whose 11 months old n i sometimes feel like beating him when doing something wrong or doesn’t listen to me. I also have anger issues pls help

13. Angell says

Am in mpumalanga Delmas I really need help ……… but free .. please

14. Thabang says

I live in Pretoria Mamelodi so when can I go to the nearest place

15. siphokazi says

I would like training for my organisation. we deal with kids around KHAYELITSHA.

16. Anonymous says

Hi, I’m messed up. I really need help. I’m at an all time low. I hate feeling like this, most days I cry with no relief. I’m so damn sad and anxious, no ambition, nothing seems worth it anymore. It feels like I’m just a burden to everyone in my life and that everything would just be better without me. I thought i could get through this, but its been nearly 2 years and I’ve just gotten worse. I don’t even know where to start or what to do anymore. I’ve basically lost who I am. I can some days barely manage daily tasks and it’s caused me to give up my job. I’m so damn messed up and I have no resources. Please, can someone help me. I’m sorry for the “anonymous” post.

1. Amy says

Depression is a huge burden, have a chat to the guys at https://www.relapseprevention.co.za/locations/ depending where you are. They can also advise who in your area you can talk to.

17. desia seleyane says

i need help ,i have trust issues with my husband and most of the times i get angry ,feel insecure , shout and fight with him ,i am just not thinking straight ,cud this be depression and how do t deal with it ,is there maiby medication i can take