All you need to know about NSFAS for 2017

Earlier in January, the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) opened a second direct application process to students. This call for applications considers numerous factors, including delays on all ends caused by #FeesMustFall protests, as well as an influx of matriculants. But despite the second call, some students are still waiting to hear the outcomes of applications submitted last year, and many have a few more burning questions. We spoke to NSFAS spokesperson, Kagisho Mamabolo, to get clarity on a few more things you need to know about the scheme.

A second application process has just opened. Has this been done before?

No. NSFAS have not had applications coming directly and being processed before. NSFAS anticipates completing the entire application process by end of February 2017, due to applications for TVET college students only closing on 14 February 2017. However, this does not mean all applications will wait until then. NSFAS have already completed some applications and sent out feedback messages to the applicants. The NSFAS office will be continuing to do that throughout January 2017.

Is NSFAS able to fund the amount of people applying for funds? What kind of capacity is the fund at?

The minister of Basic Education announced that the 2016 matric class was the largest in many years. NSFAS expects to receive more applications than previous years, as many students will be seeking to enter higher education. NSFAS had capacity to fund over 400, 000 students in the 2016 academic year (including university and TVET college students) from the R10 billion budget granted by government. NSFAS expects funds will increase for the 2017 academic year, which would then allow them to cater for a higher number of students than last year.

At the moment, NSFAS cannot confirm what the total number of applications will be by the end of the application phase. They are monitoring the numbers and awaiting to receive official confirmation of the 2017 budget, from the minister of Higher Education and Training.

Some students applying for NSFAS have come forward saying that they have not received responses at all. What does this mean? And will students who are rejected receive communication informing them of such?

NSFAS says all students will eventually receive communication regarding their respective applications. While it is true that there are students who have not yet received feedback on their applications, NSFAS are sending out responses on a continuous basis as they complete the assessment of all applications.

Does NSFAS cover registration costs?

This depends on what a student’s outcome is on the means test. NSFAS will only cover full registration fees for students where the “expected family contribution” is zero on the means test.

Have the Fees Must Fall protests posed any particular new challenges to NSFAS?

NSFAS says the challenges they have received mostly have to do with students who have not signed their loan agreement forms at some institutions, resulting in their tuition fees not being paid by due dates. They are currently liaising with institutions to respond effectively to this challenge.

For more background on NSFAS and how it works, read this article from 2015.

Featured image by Thomas Kolathu

1. Ndileka says

I want to check my application status

2. Anga says

I’ve got a problem when I apply on line they say I’ve already had an account BT I have not yet submitted my documents what can I do

3. Forget says

I have lost my password,so i request you to restart my it..pls help me

4. ntsoaki berlinda mosia says

I emailed my application to nsfas more than a month ago but even today they have not responded at all and I really need the response as I have to register in a weeks’ time , please can I get a response

5. Thabiso says

I want to check my application status too..please help

6. Zanele Khumalo says

I applied on the 11 of November 2016.
    still have no response

7. gugu says

I have applied for NSFAS but i haven’t send the required documents is it going to fund me

8. Robert says

My application status says “Financial eligibility evaluated” what does this mean?

9. ndondo luthando says

my application status says ”FINANCIAL ELIGIBILITY EVALUATED” what does it mean?

10. Andile says

Hi This Is Mahlangu Andile A Student At the University of Johannesburg I have Applied for Nsfas And still haven’t got any reply. My qualification Registration closes on the 1st of february 2017, Will Appreciate it if This could be taken into consideration And if i can get respond Asap.

11. Londiwe Ncanana says

How do i check my application status

12. Nqobile Khumalo says

I’m Nqobile Khumalo a student at Central Technical College I have applied via e-mail but even today I didn’t get any respond. I need to know that I have been funded or what please help me.. Thank you

13. fihlani siyakudumisa says

i am siyakudumisa fihlani,i applied by email on 13 january 2017,my details are;id no;9708055917081,student no.;217880614.i would like to know about my application status.nsfas is my only hope. thank you(admitted at nmmu south campus).

14. Sizakele says

I recieve a msg says “you provisially funded pending to universities /tvet colleges for this registration period
    and i didn’t use cao to apply i only fill up nsfas form only n the tym iwas filling up some few info i saw school that iwould like to study then ithought maybe i shouldn’t bother my self to apply to the instutution cz nsfas form already mention the instutution n idon’t know what am i suppose to do i’m stressed out

15. Olwethu says

I applied last year and my status says provisionally funded but I haven’t received a message,that delays my registration at the university.I should be attending tomorrow but now I can’t because I have to register first.

16. Azola says

Does NSFAS pays for students who are doing masters?

17. simo says

I’m simo I do applying for nsfas fund last year I don’t not received any feedback since last year even a SMS that come from nsfas so I want to knw what going.my student numbers 2014130898.I a! study at university of the free status (qwaqwa) campus.tnx

18. MPHO says

I want to know when is NSFAS going to stop replying to student’s requests because right now I am doing my first year at Central University of Technology and haven’t received any word from NSFAS and I really need the books and tuition fees…

19. Life says

I life chauke I applied nsfas last year early November I received an email that says provisionally funded pending so nw I don’t know what to do thanks

20. yonela says

I’m yonela busakwe my number is 0604838990 I applied on nsfas in2016 November but I got SMS on nsfas says my application for nsfas funding for the university I chose has been unsuccessful.if you enroll in a public TVET college your application. so I want to know what can I do because I’m registered at college

21. Ayanda says

I’m Ayanda I applied around January and haven’t got a response yet.please I want to know where im standing with nsfas.my number 0820539972

22. anthea windwaai says

hi
    I,ve also been waiting for respond from NSFAS and still nothing had happened and i did reply in january and like NSFAS said they would give us feedback from the 1st of february 2017…and still nothing..today its the 20th of february and still i dont have answers from them. im very consern about my future..and need to pay for registration…please help

23. BRIAN SHISINGI says

hi
    I also been waiting for feedback in unfortunately I applied in February but still it doesn’t change the fact that I applied so still waiting for feedback from nsfas my number is 0784212203 please help me

24. Asonele says

Well I’ve applied for nsfas last month and I received an SMS saying that I’m provisionally funded so what does that mean? m confused n my classes are beginning in the 1st week of May… 9402256054080 is my ID nr n 0732092356 is my cellphone nr

25. Nokwanda says

Same here i have been waiting for respond from nsfas and still nothing happened pls help

26. Puleng Neo Setlhogo says

I applied for NSFAS towards the end of January until now I haven’t got response yet.. Um very scared and frustrated because I live far from school I need accommodation money.. I attend school at Motheo TVET college-Bloemfontein campus.. Please help me.. You can contract me 0632138886

27. Yvone says

I’m yvone mashele I applied nsfas last mouth I don’t received any response I want to know my status my ID no.is 9502050731088 my mother is not working

28. Avela Sanelisiwe Ncam says

I really want to know my NSFAS status because I haven’t been responded, my identity number is 9709041462083

29. LONDIWE says

i also applied for nsfas last year and i got a sesponse saying iam provintually funded for public TVT but iam in UNIVERSITY

30. thuso says

I want to check my application status

31. muzi says

hello i’m muzi and I wrote this massage asking about my status please NSFAS be my helper it’s being a long time know waiting to be funded I really need that bursary id 9511145937089 please respond me guys.