Punished for living a debt free life

I have been exposed to the consequences of debt from an early age, have seen elders crying as their possessions are repossessed and seen families crippled by debt surviving on more debt to keep debt at bay.

Most South Africans are living in debt – a recent survey showed that many consumers use up to 76% of their income to repay debts each month.

I’ve always been determined that this would not happen to me. From the moment I started working, I saved for what I needed and purchased in cash, rather than turning to credit. Today my place is fully furnished, with everything from the beds to the couches, TV and bookshelf bought in cash. It was the safest option for me, considering that for years I was an exploited worker; my employers didn’t always pay on time. I am owed over of R35 000 by various employers who simply didn’t pay salaries, and by one which kept claiming that the organisation’s funding had not been deposited.

Saving to buy things in cash was not easy for someone like me. My small earnings have always provided for a large number of dependents, so it took time. It meant depriving myself and my kids of many things but I didn’t mind because it meant never living beyond my means. (And the cash discounts came in handy.) I’ve also never spent sleepless nights worried about a debit order on my account when was empty or had to get a loan to pay off other debts.

But I’ve recently become aware of one problem with my cash-only policy.

It started when I walked into a robbery and had my phone, which was purchased via First National Bank (FNB), stolen. When I went to the bank to apply for a second device, my application was denied due to a “bad credit score”.

You see, because I had lived within my means without using credit, I had no track record of an overall payment history; I had no outstanding debt and no creditors.

That’s when I discovered that a credit score is an important part of a financial identity, an identity that I do not have. As things stand now, I would not qualify for home financing, vehicle financing or even certain employment opportunities.

Surely there’s something wrong with this scenario? In a country in which so many are burdened by debt, it doesn’t make sense to punish people who are living a debt-free life. Perhaps it’s time to rethink how financial institutions profile customers in this country.

Koketso Moeti bio picKoketso Moeti is a campaigner, blogger and part of the Activate! Change Drivers network. She writes for the Mail and Guardian’s Thought Leader, for Safe World for Women and for NGO Pulse. Follow her on Twitter or read her personal blog.

– Image via Wikimedia Commons

1. Zaheda says

This is the way things work… The banks want you in perpetual servitude to them and when you remain debt free and live win your means you are punished for it. The interest and debt system is the most unjust system in the world.

2. Glenn says

You nailed it down there Koketso – following a responsible pattern of spending works against you, despite what we are continually told about not getting into debt and saving for our future.

The entire financial system is built on easy money, easy debt. Despite the government passing law after law to protect “consumers” who are actually people forced into difficult situations by circumstances, the credit system continues to target low and middle class income earners.

I too have been fortunate enough to remain debt free but can never hope to borrow money from the system, despite having built up considerable equity.

The lesson? Screw the system work for yourself and tell everyone else to do the same. Then the system will collapse and we will at least be able to be free from the chains and shackles of debt.

3. Zaheer says

watch that video and you’ll realise who’s in charge and how the banking system actually works.

A way around getting a credit score: buy items from a retailer on credit and pay off the entire balance a week later. Silly but it works

4. Lihle says

@Zaheer, I think I am actually going to try that the next time I need something as I have resorted to minimalism. I think the system, overall capitalism and consumption ridden system is not for people like Koketso and myself. I have resorted to not buying anything actually, my only track record with any institution is with cellphone companies and that’s also because I dread the labor that goes into buying airtime all the time. Good luck sister…

5. Dr Pedro says

Good Bye to Debt & Poverty. Cash Loans Avila welcome to a place of debt free and solution home, we have come to conclusion that its right time a south Africa citizen can buy his/her own house, good car, established good business, and also pay his/her account off and use nice phones. all this things can be done by cash, this loan company will offer you any leaser and Lump amount from 10 000Rand to 10 000 000Rand

Are You Black-Listed? Apply

Do You Have Low Credit Score? Apply

Do You Have Judgement In Your Name? Apply

Are You In Debt? Apply

Do You Have Any Financial Problem? Apply

Do You Need A House Or A Car But Could Not Afford It? Apply Today

Do You Have Business Ideal? But No Capital To Establish It, Apply Today

Do You Need A Loan To Start A New Life In 2015, Apply Now

Here Is The Right Place To Apply Without Any Stress, Just Same Day Approval.

ugiecash loans Lending company, will assist you with your financial needs. We’ve been helping clients for the past 9 years and with our knowledge and experience we can guarantee a positive outcome terms and conditions apply. We will get your loan approved without sending your documents around to various finance providers like other companies as this is only affecting your credit rating negatively. So for the most efficient service give us a call or email us.
    For more information please contact us today via email: ugiecashloans@gmail.com or call 0618056956

6. Nobert says

Do you need instant online loan? Do want fast online cash loan with same day approval? We offer online long term loans of up to R950.000 and payday cash loans up to R8000.00 with no credit checks. contact dfs.info@aol.com