Citizen.Speak.Amplify

Third force? What third force? – state security minister

David Mahlobo, the minister of state security, has dismissed claims that an alleged “third force” was behind the violence against foreign nationals  “We [the government] have never issued a statement saying that there is a third force involved,” he said. “We have been consistent in saying that there are instigators and we are following up.”

Mahlobo as speaking to Power FM’s Tim Modise on Wednesday morning to clarify the government’s position on the “third force”. This came after Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini told people attending an imbizo at the Moses Mabhida stadium on Monday that “government agrees with me that there is a third force and we need to fight against it.”

The king is widely believed to have sparked off the recent spate of violence with his address at a “moral regeneration” event in Pongola last month when he reportedly said: “We are requesting those who come from outside to please go back to their countries.” He’s since denied saying this.

Army to support police
Commenting on the SANDF deployment earlier this week in Alexandra, Mahlobo said that the decision had been taken to strengthen security and that the army had been deployed to “support the police in their operation”.

“We want people to move on with their lives (and) identify problems so we can address them,” he said adding “We should know as authorities [what is going on], but communities have a responsibility to share information.”

Listen to the full interview:

– Featured image: State security minister David Mahlobo and President Jacob Zuma in Umlazi, Durban, to speak to locals about the xenophobic attacks. Via GovernmentZA on Flickr. 
1 Comment
  1. Maynard van Buuren says

    I though it was fairly obvious, the third force is the Zulu nation.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.