While news reports and timelines are filled with images of burning tyres and overturned police cars, the #FeesMustFall protests brought many South Africans together in support and solidarity. BENAZIR CASSIM rounds up her favourite images fromÂ the less-documented side of the protests.
1. Wits campus control came over to the light sideÂ early on, showing their support for students even as they patrolled campus:
â€” Aaisha (@aaishadadipatel) October 19, 2015
3. Wits SRC collected donations for those who slept in Senate House (or Solomon Mahlangu House as students have renamed it) during the campaign:
â€” WITS SRC #WFMF (@WitsSRC) October 21, 2015
5. After students were arrested for protesting outside Parliament, Equal Education and other NGOs offered legal assistance to those stuck in jail:
â€” Equal Education (@equal_education) October 21, 2015
7. At the Union Buildings, students made a human shield around Muslim students who’d stopped to pray in congregation on the lawns:
â€” Oppidan Press (@oppidanpress) October 24, 2015
9. Same for the University of the Western Cape:
â€” City of Joburg (@CityofJoburgZA) October 24, 2015
– Featured image via Aaisha Dadi Patel
Enjoying our coverage of the #FeesMustFall protests? Please help us to keep doing what we do by donating to our crowdfunding campaign here.