R90 million fund set up for black South African filmmakers

Aspiring filmmakers could soon get a financial boost from government  through a new inititative to support local film

The Industrial Development Corporation (IDC), the Department of Trade and Industry, and the National Film and Video Foundation this week launched a R90-million fund for black filmmakers trying to get their movies onscreen.

The Emerging Black Filmmakers Fund will sponsor the R5-million production costs, as well as the marketing budget for six feature films over the next three years.

The South African film scene is burgeoning following the success of locally-filmed films like Tsotsi and Mandela: A Long Walk To Freedom, which have drawn international acclaim.

But for local filmmakers, success has been hard to find.

“We have identified a growing need to support the production of South African films and documentaries, particularly by black filmmakers and producers,” the IDC’s head of media and motion pictures, Basil Ford, said in a statement.

Read the full report on

– Image via Wikimedia Commons

1. robert ndlovu says

Hi I’m staing in manyeleti in bushbuckridge is a deeprural area , I’m doing a small dramas , so I’m looking for help n ineed to grou my production , by trining and other thing , help help , please , you can contact me at 076 1020485

2. Solomon Xhabakashe says

Greetings. We are currently working on a movie based on a true story( Sins of a con man). This movie promises to be a great film made in Mzansi,with a very interesting storyline.

We would like to invite any interested party/ persons for any kind of assistance to make this film successful.

for more information please call Solomon @ 078 831 9586 or email me @

3. Somkelo says

Hi i am samkelo maphumulo and i am writing movies and dramas based on true love ,action,comedy ….please help me i need…..plaese contact me at….0839573044

4. Mxolisi says

Hi I’m Mxolisi Makhubela from Ekangala and founder of Ekay Entertainment. We as a production organization we completed our first movie and we have limited resources, therefore we were forced to shoot using an iPad. We in need of assistance to broaden our vision, transform our fellow teenagers lives. Any kind of help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
    Cell no. 0825456083

5. siboniso says

please email me back i need funds to study film and television just finish school last year.

6. siboniso says

email: and phone number 0727310436

7. Ntando Mntungwa says

hai my name is Ntando Mntungwa at mkuze and a leader of N.T.D productions. we a making a movies from our production but we are lacking with funds to make our products proper and more attractive as we try to change lives by inspiring movies. so may you pleas help us with just material for movie making. 082 5029 753

8. Connex says

9-EXIT ENERTAIMENT, is an independent
    production company assembled from creative and business entertainment industry
    professionals with a common goal of producing the independent film ” Nothing To Lose
    Cell no 0823520814

9. John chipungu says

good afternoon
    my name is John am in limpopo none developed province.
    Am a local film maker I have done few already called

#victim of abuse
    #The victim 2
    #Prince of peace.

all that I have done with unregistered company but now am registered with a company called
    (J S FILMS )

Am looking for funding for our movies.
    we good in what we do we don’t have much equipment we only use one camera (5D conon and sports lights.

we really need a funding because we have lot of stories to tell.

we looking for equipment funding and sponsors

thes is our next movie if we get funding

Thalia the ex-police lady

Thalia got mix up in a case of the most dangerous gangster, but that couldn’t get Thalia to stop finding justice.

along the case Simon was killed by Thalia only to find out he was the gangsters son. after the case Thalia retired from being a cop and she decided to go far away with her two children.

but what Thalia didn’t know is that her past is yet to come.

written by John chipungu