Spur people – with a taste for white male violence

We’ve all seen that video of a white man physically and verbally threatening black women and children at the Texamo Spur ranch at The Glen shopping centre. The whole country is rightfully horrified at this display of violence and aggression, but should we even be shocked? Black women and children encounter this violence on the regular, and white men get away with this behaviour every day. What makes white men respond to trivial issues in this manner? The Daily Vox spoke to Lebohang Mabuya, a 33-year-old nurse and the woman in the video, about what really happened that day.

On Sunday, my friends wanted to celebrate my godchild’s third birthday at Spur, so we went to eat there in the afternoon around two o’clock. My children went to the Spur playroom, and my daughter came back and complained that a girl there was pinching her. I told them not to pay attention to that child and to move to a different area but she came back and said the girl didn’t want them playing with anything in the area and was bothering them. The lady who was supposed to be looking after the children was not there; I told them to sit with us and not play, I didn’t want to entertain the children because kids will be kids.

After a while they left to go back to the playroom, I thought it would be fine but they came back and said that the other girl had slapped my daughter. My daughter said she was afraid the girl would call her parents because she had hit her back much harder. The man came and and told me that my child had hit his daughter. I replied saying that it was not okay that his child had been terrorising mine. Why was the problem that my child had retaliated? He said that he had seen everything through the window, so I asked if he had seen his daughter hitting my child. Then he grabbed my daughter like a chicken and told his daughter to hit her! I stood up and told him that he will never threaten my child. Who the hell did he think he is?

He started swearing at me and calling me a poes and a bad parent. I told him that he must leave us alone and swore at him. I told him I wouldn’t let him terrorise us. The other women at the table were also screaming at him but I was the most audible. When he came back I thought the manager would come help, and when he lifted the table up my friend actually lacerated her foot on the metal bolts. Instead of the manager coming to us, he stayed at the opposite side of the restaurant. I was put in a spot to defend my child. If his wife had come to speak to me I would have reacted differently but I was very scared. They should have spoken to the manager to speak to me.

I think he came to us because he saw African women sitting with no man, and thought it would be easy to terrorise us. I think it was racist because he was bullying us. As a parent I could never tell my child to hit another child. I could never be so disrespectful. The manager went to calm them down afterwards and let them leave, and only came to speak to us after that. They took my number, and not his. He said he lived in Rustenburg and I thought of following them to get their registration number but I was scared he would attack me if I provoked him again. If he could do that in a room full of people anything could happen outside. I felt it was just unfair.

I don’t condone the language I used but I was so scared he would beat me to a pulp. That Spur has two male managers and they did nothing. The lady from the play area came after everything happened, and asked me what happened. They were so casual afterwards, like nothing had transpired. The children were terrified, my son and another boy jumped up when he lifted the table. There were glasses and knives on the table when he lifted it up, they could have been hurt. I think the management was scared of him, but they didn’t call security or anything. But I wouldn’t let him walk over me. He grabbed my child by the arm. Children are children, he made their problem an adult problem by telling his child to hit mine. The rest of the children are very traumatised, they can’t stop talking about what happened. I’m not proud of my behaviour, but I was very scared and no one came to help me.

In a statement released on Facebook on Tuesday, Spur Steak Ranches said that its staff had tried to intervene in the argument but were pushed away by the man. They called mall security when the incident escalated. The man has been barred from all its restaurants.

“We do not condone any forms of violence against women or children, irrespective of the circumstances. We are very disappointed that children were exposed to this type of behaviour and would like to assure the public and all our loyal customers that we will not be taking this incident lightly,” said the statement.

Featured image via Flickr
  1. Timothy Lombard says

//…and my daughter came back and complained that a girl there was pinching her. I told them not to pay attention to that child and to move to a different area but she came back and said the girl didn’t want them playing with anything in the area and was bothering them. The lady who was supposed to be looking after the children was not there; I told them to sit with us and not play, I didn’t want to entertain the children because kids will be kids.
    After a while they left to go back to the playroom, I thought it would be fine but they came back and said that the other girl had slapped my daughter. My daughter said she was afraid the girl would call her parents because she had hit her back much harder. //

Oh that doesn’t sound contrived at all. Once again, Daily Vox is tripping over itself to feed the narrative that the nonwhite woman is always the victim and the white male is always the aggressor. Can we get a little room for nuance perhaps?

I mean, really? How about the more plausible scenario that both parties’ kids were being kids and got into a scrap. What should have happened is that both parties should reprimanded their own kids and explained calmly to the other party that they are doing so. That guy is a douche of epic proportions, however that women was fanning the flames by provoking him (and no one can claim provocation is self-defense), even as he walked away.

2. Leon Rampersad says

I was at Spur in Suncoast Casino on Monday 20 March 2017 as well as on Friday 17 March 2017. On both occasions I can say without a doubt that the attendants in the play area have no control of the kids there. 13 year olds re enact scenes from movies and wrestling while 3 year olds are trying to get around the play area. My child was also bullied in line to have her face painted. Managers are non existent in the play areas until a parent steps in and then to appease that parent, they allow that parent’s child to cut the lines. The attendants are not trained professionals, and are paid minimum wage, and are not to blame. It is the owners, operators and franchisors that need to step in .
    The only reason we regularly visit Spur restaurants is for the play areas, definitely not the food. But if my child is not safe, then, there is no reason for us to be there.

Leon Rampersad

3. Sunflower says

Thank you for sharing this, it clarifies things a lot!

4. Pedro el Citoyen says

What a specimen that guy is. So sad that his kid(s) will probably grow up thinking that verbal abuse and intimidation are normal, acceptable ways of dealing with potential conflict situations in public. If he thought there was a problem between the kids, why not approach the mom in a respectful manner with a view to resolving rather than escalating? I’d love to know whether his own wife supports his actions.

5. Kerry-lee says

Did you approach the man before you wrote this article?! So typical of South Africa to make people hate each other because of race! What was your objective? Truth or hatred? Get a life before printing bull crap!

6. Michael Feistel says

The man started it and the woman did not stop to provoke further either. If I was the manager, this sort of display of behavior by an adult would have gotten both of them banned immediately. Not just the mall security, the police I would have called upon.

7. Carl says

Why does it have to be about white vs black?! The story is about an abusive male threatening a female. Why always cry race?!

1. Felicia says

futsek futsek futsek ! Do you think that asshole was going to treat a white woman like that? MXM suzenza isdenge apha

1. Nel says

Bey bey Felicia, would she have acted the same if it was a black man? It’s not a race thing it’s about, parents not teaching kids manners.

2. Jacqueline Weinstein says

Futsek? What a classy broad! Hahahaha

2. Punk is dead says
      1. Carl says

That is actually criminal – Ntuthuko M Simelane?? Surely he can go to prison for inciting rape torture and mutilation of white people!? This needs to go f*&%ing viral! With farm murders getting increasingly racial and violent this is fueling that. Possibly the most racist thing I have ever seen.

3. Brandon says

Do a little reading on the history of SA. That doesn’t just go away. There will be deep wounds and scars for years to come. This knee-jerk reaction of looking beyond the history and beyond race is naive.

1. Lungisa Ngapi says

fully agree with you

4. Kagiso says

Because it’s always going to be about race.

5. Keenan says

It does not always have to be about race but consider this: because it was a black child hitting a white child, a white male parent became livid and was ready to beat up a black female, surrounded by black children, in front of his white female companion and their white daughter.

Consider this.
      1. Black male vs white female
      2. Then consider white male vs black female
      3. Then white vs white.
      4. And black vs black.

1 will probably be in jail already convicted.
      2 TBD
      3 childish behaviour
      4 animalistic behaviour

It does not always have to be about race but it quite simply is about race

The white parent cannot believe that a black kid hit his precious white child although its natural that kids fight

The black parent could not believe a white man will intimidate her like that in public

1. natasha says

Probably the most sensible apprehension of this situation I have read to date. Bravo

6. Anastasia says

Shout up, you know nothing about being black, so shout up before I come help shout up.

1. Punk is dead says

Shout up? Are you retarded?

7. Robert says

Unfortunately until we build a brand new culture, race will always be a problem.

8. Kat says

WHY are you choosing to be colour blind? Why are you choosing to ignore race as a major contribution to attitudes in society, they may have been other factors yes. but race IS a major factor,

8. Riaan says

Mishima. Is it fair just to publish just her side of the story? I would think not. She behaved just as badly by shouting profanities. Elsewhere on Facebook somebody who also witnessed the incident attest to the fact that the posted video only shows partly what happened. According to this witness the video does not show an earlier part of the incident where the man calmly requested the lady to sort out her child. She replied in his face that he must go an F$&k himself. From there matters escalated

1. felicia says

So you trust someone from Fb who can easily be friends with that son of a bitch. See we black women are 4seconds away from kill white people. You come to our country steal our land and treat us like shit. Be careful your time is coming very soon motherfuckers. If that son of a bitch wanted to say something surely he would have posted a status on fb or even contacted the newspaper but because he knows he was wrong he ain’t saying shit.

1. You heard it here first says

It is not your country, it is not your land and it is not your right to even think it is. Once you buy property and a piece of land then that little area you bought is yours. You should watch your words you Racist pig. You people are blatantly and openly speaking about the murdering of white people…is this humane? Definitely not! It is barbarish and animal like. You say our time is coming, us motherfuckers? Well don’t get your hopes up, because you will never EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER get rid of us white people. This animal like mind set of yours will be your downfall. You are like sheep, no wait, more like monkey see, monkey do… If one kills a white man then another wants to do the same, monkey see, monkey do. If one steals bread, then another will do the same, monkey see, monkey do. If one blindly follows ANC or EFF and their most corrupt ways, then another will do the same, monkey see, monkey do. I guess you either support ANC or EFF judging by the way you speak of white people, but you are so blind… The fact that you can’t see how those parties are the downfall of South Africa, is beyond me… That you, as a human being can support such a corrupt party, who steals from you but you are too stupid to even notice. They are the reason most of you don’t have work, don’t have housing, don’t have cheaper foods to purchase, because they have NO IDEA of how to properly run a country. But please, be my guest and keep doing what your doing, and enjoy it for now, because(and mark my words) it will not last long and then your power struggle will start and will beg us white people to stay in you county to FIX everything you have broken, much like Zimbabwe who is pleading the white farmers to come back and feed them again. You say our time is coming, yes it is but not in the way you think.

PS: “Monkey see, monkey do” is not racist, it is a figure of speech. Just saying before you pull the Race Card” again…

1. JADE&JADA says

WOW it is a no wonder we had a problem at the Spur.

Read your history books my friend don’t read from where your father left off go back a few hundred years to find out how your dad got to where he is.

You need to read,…do you read or do you just see and assume that what you see is right.

Ignorance is dangerous.

Who is begging English or Europeans to fix anything. There are no “whites”. Facts there are no “Blacks”

2. Jason says

You are a dickhead. How can u say that ..It’s people like you that cause the problem s in this country.

2. Mal nai says

You are EXTREMELY delusional and fucking retarded. What made you pull the race card? You try so hard to play. The victim. I don’t condone violence against women but I think someone really needs to teach you a few things.

3. Jana says

Maybe you should grow up and look further than your own petty insecurities and maybe just maybe if you all will stop spreading hate speech everyday and maybe just think before you jump on the band wagon of racism. We are all human being, no matter what race you are humanity is doomed by shallow people. I feel sorry for the children, firstly racism is taught to children it’s not a human trait.

2. felicia says

So you trust someone from Fb who can easily be friends with that son of a bitch. See we black women are 4seconds away from killing white people. You come to our country steal our land and treat us like shit. Be careful your time is coming very soon motherfuckers. If that son of a bitch wanted to say something surely he would have posted a status on fb or even contacted the newspaper but because he knows he was wrong he ain’t saying shit.

1. Jacqueline Weinstein says

Hahahaha keep us entertained licia. And don’t forget to add more criticism so you can feel your ‘power’!!

2. Carl says

Wow Felicia, do you know that you are racist? You really are very racist. I am not, but comments like yours are difficult to deal with, because nothing encourages racism, like a racist attack – like yours. And his. You are judging me on the actions of someone else who is the same race = racist. Can a Racist throw judgement on another racist?
        You clearly seem to hate all white people, have you had discussions with any, or got to know any? Do you know that there were many that were against apartheid? I guess no to all of the above.

3. Muhammed-Khalid says

That’s exactly what I thought. We don’t know what happened before the flare up. The video is halfway through the fight. Nonetheless, they both behaved bad and so both should be banned from Spur.

4. Kat says

Did you read the Spur version of events?

9. Njabson says

I really don’t Understand what kind of a men react like that to situations like those involving children, very uncivilized. Not rare for women so was not surprised.

10. Sherri B says

Why must race always be brought into it. Lady the way you carried on in front of your children, eish, I would’ve wanted to slap some sense into you. And then you carried on and on and on and on…. I noticed many patrons got up to leave. The manager didn’t react because it was you, you stupid woman who carried on swearing like that. You should have your mouth washed out with soap. So unlady like OMG. If I were there I would have called the police and let them calm you down.

There are no winners in this, they are children. All dads weather black, white, coloured, Indian , Muslim, or gay will commit murder for their little girls it’s in their genetic make up

My conclusion dad should have carried on walking away but the bitch just didn’t want to drop it, calling him any name under the sun, I believe the C word was even used. Men – black or white will not walk away believe me. So let not talk about this as being a race issue.

It’s a disagreement in a restaurant involving a white family and a black family. It got out of control but it’s over. BOTH parties were in the wrong. Accept it and move on … unfortunately for Spur, that lady ‘a continued swearing and forced practically the whole restaurant to get up and leave. Such a fowl mouth – so unladylike !!!!

11. Irate South African says

Before publishing such trash that I’m guessing you calling an article, how about getting both parties to give their story, get cctv from spur and maybe witness statements, its the trash media that condones and elevates this so called racial demeanor we fight in RSA just to boost their rating, pathetic at its best.

12. Sue says

How is this journalism, if you only speak to one of the parties involved?

1. Brenda says

It’s fair babes!! so chill and locate the other party speak to him and post it. Stop asking fucked up Questions Sue Go home laphayana e England and ask such questions

2. Punk is dead says

Because its not journalism, it’s propaganda. This site is funded by the same PR agency that the Guptas go to, and the same PR agency that funds the BFLF movement. It’s just an attempt to grow animosity amongst different races so Jacob Zuma can take advantage of the situation and hold on to power. The challenge if for us as South Africans not to take heed and to make an effort to empathise and get along with our neighbours. Articles like this help create a bloody future, we need to stand up and help create a bright one.

3. Aumote says

I agree. Even if it appears if the one party is guilty, you must still give the other side a fair chance. That is how good journalism works.

4. Mbali says

Locate the second party and show us real journalism…Sbhanxa

13. Sonja says

Why is only the man banned from spur.the woman behaved just as bad with her foul mouth!

1. H says

Foul language vs threatening/displaying physical violence – how is that on the same level? Because the foul language was from a woman? Women being censored and shamed for reacting without grace when treated with disrespect and injustice. THAT is the real shame.

1. Kim says

HAHAHAHAHA. You people with feminist tendencies are so typical. So men must be censored and shamed for reacting without grace when treated with disrespect and injustice? See how that works? You want men and women to be equal? Suck it up.

2. Liane says

Agreed. If two grown up people misbehave in such a way Spur, then punish both. I do not think it is a matter of racism or abusing a woman. It is simply a matter of bad manners in public.

14. Bob says

Cant believe these reponses. I dont think its racism but his behaviour is inexcusable. She may have sworn but she did not go up to his table and threaten him(over a petty childrens squabble). About the race issue- I dont think its just racism. Its just an aggressive, horrible human male threathening females and children. Is that not bad enough for you? The race part comes in when people realise- Had a big black male stranger gone up to a table with a petite white woman celebrating her childs birthday, and screamed and threatened her, he would be arrested by now. I dont think (in fact Im certain) that the above voices would be crying out about hearing his side of the story.

1. H says

Great comment. Surprised more people aren’t thinking like you.

2. Pedro el Citoyen says

I agree with you 100%, Bob. And since this is the Daily Vox, where your interest-group affiliation is all-important, I should mention that I’m a white cishet male AND a moderate centrist.

15. T says

This is all bullshit! I was sitting a few metres (maybe like 2) away from the playroom window and the little white girl did not touch the black girl once!! NOT ONCE! Jeez! Maybe you should get a recording of the surveillance camera and get your facts straigthen out! I’m not being racist at all!! I feel, what the white man did, was absolutely wrong and absurd! He should’ve stayed calm in that situation. But to now change the actual facts to not have your daughter sound like the wrong one, is irresponsible. She should just take the responsiblity of her daughter’s wrongdoing and get it over and done with. Do yourself a favour and get the recording of the surveillance camera, you will thank me later.

1. H says

So you were watching other people’s little girls in a playroom without taking your eyes off for a moment? Uh. Seems a little worrisome really. Keep defending white patriarchy. You’re part of the problem.

2. T says

Have you ever seen an Indian or black male behaving like this towards a woman they don’t know? This has nothing to do with the kids. You are missing the point all together. This behavior must stop right now else a revolution against white people will erupt. You must just denounce bully behavior from white males. It may be accepted in your little communities but not in a multi racial community. It is not about race, white males behave the same with each other and i believe the don’t see anything wrong with it – you can see even the comments above. This is white male bully mentality and it must stop or else the consequences will be ugly… we must all work together, black or white. Black people are tired of this and they won’t speak with words if this continues. For all our sanity, stop this nonesense!

1. Punk is dead says

I have seen Indian men and Black men behave like this. I have also seen women of all races behave life this. Do you live in complete isolation?

3. Sandi says

Media Statement
      Cape Town, Wednesday 22 March 2017; Spur Corporation would like to issue an unequivocal apology to Lebohang Mabuya and her family for the incident that took place at the Texamo Spur at The Glen Shopping Centre in Johannesburg on Sunday 19 March 2017.
      We have reviewed our CCTV footage of the incident and can confirm that Ms Mabuya’s version of events is accurate; the footage shows that her child was grabbed by the male customer in an aggressive manner and his actions are unacceptable.
      We affirm our decision to ban the male customer from our stores, physical aggression towards our customers, particularly against women and children will not be tolerated. We acknowledge that the staff and management of the store did not sufficiently assist Ms Mabuya. We have addressed this with the store management and we are reviewing our internal procedures to ensure that restaurant staff are better equipped to manage an incident such as this. We also recognize that Ms Mabuya apologised in recent media statements for her inappropriate language used in this incident.
      Says Pierre van Tonder; “We will be talking to Ms Mabuya directly, at her convenience, and will apologise for what she and her family experienced. We will also offer her and her family trauma counselling and any other support where we can. I would like to again make it very clear that as an organisation we do not condone any forms of violence against women or children, irrespective of the circumstances. As an organisation we have learnt a valuable lesson and it is my priority at this stage to ensure that should something like happen again, our staff will be sufficiently prepared.”
      -ends-

you need to stop supporting racism at all cost

1. Thembi says

Good its about time they apologised. Its sad that our country has come to this. Its sad that people cannot understand that RACE will always and is always a factor in social circles. I am glad that the surveilance cameras supports the lady’s statements. Black child what is your crime?

SAD

16. Lindy Madela says

That Spur must just be boycotted also, why is the staff just standing and doing nothing about this animal? This Boer is a fuckin’ racist and a bully, he is a coward to abuse a woman and children like that. I don’t care what the child did but this is bad behavior. All you whites can go to hell for all I care with your stupid comments here. Sies man how can a woman support a man who is an animal like this aargggghhh man. I wish the Lady could have called the police and get him arrested

1. Mal nai says

STUPID POES!!! You call him a racist but in the same sentence you call him a boer? Quick to talk shit. Fuck your double standards. I don’t even wanna think about if he had to call you a k*ffer. Stop this racist Kak

2. Chichi says

So rich. The black bitch screaming like a street whore & the white man gets blamed for being a racist. I will never go to Spur ever again. All the blacks want, is the whites dead or gone & to steal from us but the stupid cunts don’t realize that they will all perish because with all the Boere dead & gone, who will grow mielies for pap for all you useless fucks!?!?!? Because we all know you can’t farm.

1. Justin says

There are Indians and coloureds that hate white people too

17. Gideon says

These lady deserve a bell.

18. T says

Why was my comment from earlier deleted??? And for a woman to speak such foul language?? Sis man!!

1. TT says

May be your comments did not make sense and was thoughtless like the one you have just sent.

19. S A 4all says

That is called white arrogance…white supremacy an white displaying their whiteness over black ppl.an we must accept it just like that.?we are sitting on a timing bom..white ppl must change their way of doin things…what is wrong us wrong.

20. Fok says

That man needs anger management classes. If that’s the way he treats his wife then he shudv drawn a line. The time is over when whites used to rule the world….it’s over!!! Kuphelile!!! We r tired….we have been abused and its enaf…..

21. Dayne says

Management should have intervened before it escalated to that point so I really blame Spur for allowing it to get to that point and I feel all the customers should be compensated because I dont think anyone would enjoy their meal after witnessing that.

22. Punk is dead says

You know, if you keep publishing stories that demonise white people , and if the economy crashes under Mugabe-style land grabs, then, Mishka, I want you to go take a look at how poor South Africans will suffer, and I want you to acknowledge your part in it. The way you racialise and incite violence is despicable.

1. Aumote says

Wow, that is well said! Although I am not a whity, I am getting sick and tired of my people pulling out the race card left and right.

23. Sisko says

If it was a black man attacking a white women I believe the case was going to be opened ASP It’s a pity nothing has been done about it # he must watch there back oh else 👊 when he try to do that next time

1. Mal nai says

And if it was a big black man attacking the same woman? Fuck the colour you retarded Fucks. It’s about manners and discipline. Fuck the colour of your skin. Skin colour doesn’t teach manners or proper behavior

1. Stephen says

I agree, but all these blacks can do is play the race card. It’s always about race. Stupid fucks have nothing else to fight with. Always has to be color. But low and behold if a black person does something, then it is justified because of apartheid. Fuckin apartheid has been dead for 23 years, most of these idiots weren’t even alive in apartheid, but they will always blame shit on that. So fucking sick of it…

24. adfgdgfd says

Jesus Dailyvox. Do you even pretend to do journalism anymore? Where is the account from the other party involved – or do they not count because they’re white? Did you even attempt to reach the guy, or get his version of the story?

1. Jacqueline Weinstein says

Well said Ad…
      Today is the first time I’ve come across Dailyvox and I’m already questioning their credibility.

25. Stephen Rothner says

MY QUESTION IS… WHY WOULD A LITTLE GIRL SLAP A GIRL TWICE HER SIZE FOR NOTHING? THAT DOESN’T SOUND RIGHT TO ME… AND WHY MAKE THIS A STORY ABOUT WHITE ON BLACK? WOULD IT BE DIFFERENT IF IT WAS A BLACK MAN TALKING TO A WHITE WOMAN LIKE THAT? THE MEDIA IS ADDING OIL TO A FIRE WITH COMMENTS LIKE THIS, AND FOR THIS REASON I AM UNFOLLOWING YOUR PAGE AND WILL NOT SUPPORT ANYTHING YOUR BRAND IS INVOLVED WITH IN THE FUTURE…

1. Natalie says

Hahahaha totsiens wethu. You’re so entitled you think your tiny speck of support will affect people?

1. Jacqueline Weinstein says

Little drops of water and little grains of sand, make the mighty ocean and the mounds of sand.

But you wouldn’t understand that.

26. Piet says

To all you blacks saying you are tired of white people doing this and white people doing that, why don’t you come do something about it. Us whites are tired of you playing the race card every time something doesn’t go your way. Your government fucks up, blame the white people. Your president steals money, blame the whites. Your house burns down, blame the whites. Your car breaks down, blame the fucking whites. You blame everything on race, and that actually makes you a racist. You think us whites are scared of you because you are the majority? Fuck you. Come for us, we are ready for you…

1. Pedro el Citoyen says

Don’t be an idiot. If you want a civil war, go and start by yourself. Most people just want to get on with their lives. Unfortunately,the quiet and moderate majority tends to get drowned out by the people who make the most noise, i.e. radicals and racists.

2. Mal nai says

Love it mybru. I’m just as fed up with this race card Kak

3. terri says

Am pretty sure whites in Zimbabwe said the same thing…were are they now?

27. Mamma Bear says

Interesting how the mom has passed blatant lies as the truth…
    At which point did he grab your child?
    First, you say she’s too tiny to hit then you say his daughter started first…
    I find anything you or this article (because presumably the journalist watched the video and verified facts?) states hard to believe.
    His behaviour is not excusable but based on your lies, blame shifting and lazy parenting…his wrong behaviour becomes understandable.

1. Zwelethu says

Lies…where???? SPUR itself released a statement saying that the CCTV footage shows him grabbing her child. What made you think that she was lying??

28. Mal nai says

The person posting this Kak. You are a big part of what is wrong with south Africa. ALWAYS MAKING IT ABOUT FACE!!! FUCK YOU. You are the racist one

29. Khanyisile says

Bloody racist! White people have been abusing Black people for a long time from 1994 until today. A lot of stories have not been exposed. Thank God for technology. This is nothing.

1. Stephen says

Go look at the stats you idiot. Ten times more white people killed since 94 than blacks since the 1900’s. How have whites abused you since 94? We are the minority, we have no seats in government, we do not hold the top positions anymore (all the CEO’s and upper management of major corporations are black), we can’t even get a decent job anymore… and then there are the farm murders! 60 in one month! And you talk about us abusing you? Please man, get your facts straight before you make a stupid statement like that and make yourself look like an ass…

1. Andre Dippenaar says

Yeah it is only whites that can be racists yeah???? We will see when there is no more BOERS left what you will eat. Zimbabwe here we come. Bunch of idiots

1. Amy says

I’d rather live in Zimbabwe than be at the mercy of a white man honeslty…in the end…Zimbabwe belongs to Zimbabweans today, not to greedy bastards who demonized everyone trying to dismantle their privlledge

2. Punk is dead says

We all bleed the same colour. Remember that when we all die in the same way.

30. Malles says

There are alway THREE sides to every confrontation – in this case Her side, His side and the Truth………….

From what I saw in the video, both parents behaved inappropriately. I see or hear no evidence about racism though – why does everything always have to be linked to RACE in SA ?

31. Andre Dippenaar says

Give the full video and not just the part where the argument starts. Surely there was provoking circumstances here. Easy to say the white is racist.

32. Stephen Rothner says

FYI, special for the blacks on the page who think whites were these horrible monsters in apartheid, but weren’t here when apartheid was happening:

The Apartheid government built ten Universities for blacks including Medunsa which is a unique medical university that turned out 200 highly qualified black doctors every year all at state costs, paid for by the white taxpayers. It also trained paramedics and nurses.
    Nelson Mandela and countless other blacks managed to become lawyers during Apartheid South Africa.
    Since 1970 the budget for black education rose by about 30% per year every year. More than any other government department.
    In the period 1955 -1984 the amount of black school students increased 31 times from 35,000 to 1,096 000.
    65% of black South African children were at school compared to Egypt 64%, Nigeria 57%, Ghana52%, Tanzania50% and Ethiopia 29%.
    Amongst the adults of South Africa, 71% could read and write (80% between the ages 12 and 22). Compare this to Kenya 47%, Egypt 38%, Nigeria 34% and Mozambique at 26%.
    In South Africa, the whites built 15 new classrooms for blacks every working day, every year. At 40 children per class it meant space for an additional 600 black students every day!!!
    In 1985 there were 42,000 Blacks at 5 universities in South Africa, about the same amount at the universities of the homelands.
    In an article called Die Afrikaner 11 Feb 1987, the quarterly magazine called Vox Africana Nr 29 4/87 stated that: South Africa had 4,8 million whites and 18,2 million blacks in 1987. The whites paid 77% of the taxes and the blacks only 15%…despite this…56% of the government budget was spent on blacks.
    During the time of Dr. Verwoerd, the living standards of Blacks was rising at 5,4% per year against that of the whites at 3,9% per year. In 1965 the economic growth of South Africa was the second highest in the world at 7,9%.
    The rate of inflation was a mere 2% per annum and the prime interest rate only 3% per annum. Domestic savings were so great that South Africa needed no foreign loans for normal economic expansion.
    Even Lord Deedes admitted, White South Africa grew to become the economic giant of the continent, the other members of the Commonwealth virtually sank into poverty.
    At the height of Apartheid in 1978, Soweto had 115 football fields, 3 Rugby fields, 4 athletic tracks, 11 Cricket fields, 2 Golf courses, 47 Tennis courts, 7 swimming pools built to Olympic standards, 5 Bowling alleys, 81 Netball fields, 39 children play parks, and countless civic halls, movie houses and clubhouses.
    In addition to this, Soweto had 300 churches, 365 schools, 2 Technical Colleges, 8 clinics, 63 child day care centres, 11 Post Offices, and its own fruit and vegetable market.
    There were 2300 registered companies that belonged to black businessmen, about 1000 private taxi companies. 3% of the 50,000 vehicle owners in 1978 were Mercedes Benz owners. Soweto alone had more cars, taxis, schools, churches and sport facilities than most independent countries in Africa. The Blacks of South Africa had more private vehicles than the entire white population of the USSR at the time.
    Today Soweto has modern shopping malls like, Dobsonville Shopping Centre. In 2005 the Protea Gardens Mall opened. This was followed by the Baramall Shopping Centre and the Jabulani Shopping complex and the Maponya Mall. Experts say that Soweto has as much as 25% oversupply of retail space.
    The Canadian Medical Doctor, Dr Kenneth Walker wrote about Soweto, (I freely translate from Verrat an Sdafrika, Klaus Vaque, 1987,pg 41)
    In Soweto I saw many homes that costs about $100,000 (1978) and that had a BMW in the driveway. All houses are single storey. Many are recently painted. Many had flowerpots in the windows and lawn in the front. Only 2% were shacks. If I had the choice to live in Soweto or in the apartment dwellings or Projects of New York, Chicago, or Detroit where there is so much crime, then I would not hesitate for one moment and choose Soweto.
    The biggest hospital in the world, Baragwanath with 3200 beds and at its peak almost 8000 staff had 23 operation theatres fitted out with the most modern medical equipment that existed in the world. Blacks were treated here, operated on…at full state costs to the white-taxpayers for unlimited periods. The budget of this hospital was and is higher than the yearly budget of most small member states of the United Nations.
    Next door to Baragwanath is the St. Johns Eye Clinic. The clinic is world famous for the treatment of Glaucoma, Cataracts, traumatic eye injuries and rare tropical diseases. All built and maintained by white taxpayers money for blacks.
    Baragwanath in 1978 employed 450 medical doctors in full-time service. It treated 112 000 in-patients and 1.62 million out-patients per year. The children and infant death rate with 34.8 per 1000 was lower than Harlem in New York.
    In 1982 alone, this hospital performed 898 heart operations of world quality.
    Ironically…90% of the blood donors for this hospital were whites, who donated blood free of charge, totally voluntarily…to save black lives. (Quoted from The Citizen, 2 April 1987).

33. Shaka says

Because of what I’m reading here I’m going to start something. Something real big

1. Jacqueline Weinstein says

Did you get lost, shakattack?

34. Sky says

Excuse me but HOW is this about race?? I am NOT defending this man, as a woman i feel that his actions were disgusting and he surely deserves a knock on his abusive little head for treating a lady the way he did. I hate how he handled the situation and behaved himself. But damn people open your eyes!! When are you gonna stop pointing fingers and playing the race card?? This is obviously about a lunatic man lashing out on a woman. This is GENDER AND NOT RACE!!!!! Not all white men are like this. And i can bet there are MANY black men who would have behaved the exact same in this situation!!!! This about MEN thinking they can get away with treating woman like rubbish and that needs to STOP!!!! Get over the race thing and realize that gender violence is the REAL issue here!!!

35. Vengai says

As a parent the whiteman was correct to deffent his child.the black woman was very wrong to deny and shout at that man.she was supposed to accept and apologise and move on and not play the race and gender card.there was no racism here but iresponsible mother who glorifies her kidz abusing other kidz and thus not being a role model.

1. c says

Agreed lets not make this anything more than it is.

Parents trying to defend their children.

he has a temper, and she provoked it.

36. Melody says

The man’s behaviour was terrible. Disgusting to behave towards a woman like that. And he wants to hit her. Who the hrll he thinks he is.
    Whites have this thing in them cause they white they can treat people how they want to. When they dint have manners n morals themselves.

37. H says

I blame management for not resolving the issue in the play area. Are there not any staff that monitor the children? Now the situation escalated to another level. All this could have been avoided. I feel that both parents were trying to defend their children which is very natural, they just went about it the wrong way.

38. Afro-priest says

White people are on the loose, similar incidences have been occurring recently and this sparks violence in the highest order. We have seen 2 police officers being assaulted by 2 white males. It seems like we are defenseless in such occasions. They are suffering from racial hatred towards black people.

39. Lindi says

I think that man is like that even at home. You cannot be acting like that in front of women and children and still call yourself a man. He is a clone of a man. I don’t want to go to the race card but to me you are just a coward who was trying to impress the people you were with, maybe your wife is divorcing you now you are angry at all the women species. Shame on you, you have a black president and this country will never go back to where you dream of taking it. Go and live in Orania where you won’t have to encounter any black faces at restaurant and schools.

40. Ruan says

always a racial issue when different cultures is involved, what if his child hit hr child she would have done the same to stand up for her child its not a racial issue that happend its a parent issue and both of them handeld the situasion wrong, he should have gone of on her and she shouldnt have taunted him further cause thats what she has done on the end of the video when he already left, making a scene for all to see

41. Ruan says

sorry meant to say he shouldnt have gone off on her

42. lotanna says

Some of you people are pathetic. This is just a he said she said situation. The core of the issue here is that that man threatened that woman and her kids with violence. End of! They both said some nasty things. He was the one at her table threatening her with violence in a public space. What happened at the restaurant is a microcosm of what happenes to black South African women on the daily. Spur management at that place needs to be fired and people need to be more aware of the bullying that men (of all races) do.

43. Juan Olivier says

Clearly thedailyvox is racist with its title.

44. Shocked says

Reality* If you think Apartheid is dead these comments show otherwise… We bottled this issue for years we never solved it.

45. Martha says

No black man would EVER behave that way- to a black or white women. We were raised right.

The only people who don’t see race are white…so not surprising. Every interaction between a white person and a black person is racial.

And that stupid fuck who posted stats on what the apartheid givt built for black people….fuck you arsehole! Masepa a hao. Lerete la hao. Nywana ya mmao!!! You are so retarded you can’t see anything wrong with your post!

That man is a racist. It’s in his DNA. Black people have beeeen cleaning up messes they did not create. All you white people must learn manners- black women will teach you magez’empompini ke lona!

1. intelligent says

what has the black invented in the last 80 years just a simple question
      nothing
      your phone your car
      I rest my case
      its a sad story

2. Punk is dead says

The black man who raped me in 1997 when i was 9 behaved much worse.

1. James says

Arg shame now you had to take this opportunity to say that you was raped and now its because Afrikaners are so beautiful shame so beautiful and perfect that now a black indian or coloured male wants to rape all of you-Get a life Afrikaners are ugly sies white people make me near

46. Natasha says

This nation is divided. The oozing wounds will never heal as long as we are all fighting. And when there is nothing left to fight for we will fight some more. It’s the toxic trap this once beautiful nation has fallen into and comments like the one’s on this page saddens me and makes it evermore so difficult to be a proud South African.
    There is no excuse for what happened or was captured on camera and I am reeling at the behaviour from both parties. Those children will grow up thinking this is how adults should behave. Those children are our future and both those parents should hang their heads in shame. The biggest race problem this country has, is its human race.
    Sidenote: This was a shockingly shite piece of journalism and your platform encourages hate speech and divided opinions by tolerating some of the sludge that is being posted and therefore does not get my vote as a credible source for information.

47. Annie says

Got lost reading the comments. These are two parents who both handled the situation in a very bad way and once again the aftermath is race. How do we as parents teach our children to move on if we as their teachers, parents and mentors cant even do this. Sad.

48. c says

PS don’t know if I’ll ever go back to SPUR, don’t need my daughter bullied in the play area.
    I once saw her being bossy to kids older than her, and put a stop to it immediately.
    why cant others do the same .

we enjoy going to the one at Morning Glen, as the play area is fab, but don’t know that I can trust Spur management after the way this was handled.

a 5 year old picking on a 10 year old is annoying, a 10 year old picking on a 5 year old is bullying and Spur thrives on having a safe environment for children, while their parents spend money, maybe not anymore.

49. kayode says

I AM A BLACK…..so that people wont think i am racist…..first is it nice as they only post one side story for us to read what of the guy story?……secondly how come the woman is not telling us that this white man kid is 3 years old and her daughter is 10? which simply mean his own kid is still very young and been childish but her own daughter already understand world little………and i am very sure she told the daughter that if the toddler touch you gain slap him and the daughter listen to her….and we hear that the guy try to reason with her peacefully first until when told him to go fuck himself is when he got angry

50. kayode says

I AM A BLACK…..so that people wont think i am racist…..first is it nice as they only post one side story for us to read what of the guy story?……secondly how come the woman is not telling us that this white man kid is 3 years old and her daughter is 10? which simply mean his own kid is still very young and been childish but her own daughter already understand world a little………and i am very sure she told the daughter that if the toddler touch you gain slap him and the daughter listen to her….and we hear that the guy try to reason with her peacefully first until when she told him to go fuck himself is when he got angry

1. Jacqueline Weinstein says

Kayode … a bit of sanity in an otherwise insane world.

51. therealmidnite says

My sympathies to that little girl who has to grow up with THAT for a father.

52. Peter says

This has nothing to do with race it is two parents acting like idiots the fact that the man resorted to threatening violence is inexcusable but for a mother to shout and swear like a common street walker is also inexcusable I don’t care what colour these two idiots are their behavior was wrong. The ones to suffer the most are the children of both parents what example has been set on how to resolve disagreements. To the idiots on this column both white and black inciting racial hatred it is time to grow up and learn to work together not break each other down

53. Rehana says

I was not there so I don’t know what really happened but all I can say is that if a child hit my child and my kid came out crying I too would approach the parent, male or female. It’s not about kids being kids, at that age, kids should know better. If I was sworn at etc. I would smack that person through the face first time round. At the end of the day, I would do anything to protect my child. Obviously people are going to twist the story, watch the surveillance camera’s to establish the truth and please publish it that we can see who is lying. I do think that his wife should have rather approached the woman, especially if he knows that he has a temper. In cases like these, I would send my husband to deal with the situation because I have a short temper. It’s not easy managing anger and rage, this why people go to therapy. I’m a bit irritated with spur, from the video they did nothing and now they claim they were scared, please. Call the damn police.

54. Adelaide says

That white men is raciall and he doesn’t carry himself like a father ,what her kid did in the play room its what he thought her at home and where does he get the guds to pull a black child by hand and tell hers to bit the black child .he is a sick men with a sick child he need GOD and prayers from all South Africans he doesn’t no what is peace and doesn’t know what is his position as a father.HE NEEDS HELP in JESUS NAME

55. LM says

As parents, both their behavior is appalling. There are kids in their presence, yet they are heard using profanities like it’s the 12th official language of the country!

Kids watch and imitate everything you do. These parents must not be surprised if their kids grow up to be a play-ground bully.

Its unfortunate that it turned into a race thing. We should not judge people by their race because this video clip shows that neither is better than the other. They both acted like uncivilized, uncultured, bad-mannered humans. So what does that make them? Bad parents!

Leave race out of it because it gives the rest of us that belong to either of the two race groups, a bad rap.