There’s now an air of mystery surrounding the death of the DUT student

0
28

Investigations into the death of student Durban University of Technology student Lindelani Myeza are underway but university management and student leaders have declined to reveal details about the incident at this stage. Police say they’ll comment on Myeza’s death once the post-mortem results are released on Wednesday.

The information released from various sources so far, is inconclusive.

DUT Vice-Chancellor Ahmed Bawa released a statement on Tuesday saying that the death of Myeza is now a police matter. He added Myeza was a first-year student studying for his National Diploma Management Science. Last Friday at 22:00, members of the House committee were alerted to an incident in the kitchen at room 12 at the residence in Persada. Further details cannot be revealed due to the police investigation.

According to SAPS spokesperson Major Thulani Zwane, the KZN SAPS has opened an inquest docket at the Durban Central Police Station. So far, he said that they don’t have any more information on the death as they are currently waiting for post mortem results.

Students at DUT protested on Monday after news of Myeza’s death spread. It is widely believed that Myeza jumped from his residence building after learning that his application for funding was revoked by the state student financial aid scheme NSFAS.

NSFAS however, says Myeza’s application was approved.

“NSFAS can confirm that at the time of his sad death, Mr. Myeza had applied for funding, and was successfully funded based on the NSFAS Means Test. Subsequently, he was allowed to register for the 2016 academic year,” spokesperson Kagisho Mamabolo said.

The Daily Vox however understands that NSFAS may revoke funding applications after the initial Means Test approval, but NSFAS has declined to comment further on this matter.

In a statement, Minister of Higher Education and Training Dr Blade Nzimande said the death of Myeza was “utterly unacceptable”.

“As a department we rate the safety and security of students enrolled at all our institutions of higher education and training as one of our top priorities, and it is utterly unacceptable that such a tragic event could occur on one of our highly regarded campuses,” he said. “I wish to give the assurance that we are working together with the top leadership of DUT to ensure that a fairer investigation is conducted to expeditiously get to the bottom of this matter and uncover the truth behind the tragic death of Myeza.”

A student who only identified himself as Siyabonga, and who is the chairman of the house committee at the residence where the young man took his life sent this text message to The Daily Vox.

“I would like to help you with regards to that incident, but I would like to inform that I was given an order from above not to disclose any information nor details about the whole incident as DUT housing and the Myeza family have to be on the level terms to go out on public about this tragic event. We are aware that many versions to this incident have been circulated around the past days. But once the above mentioned have agreed to release a formal statement then you may obtain such information,” said the SMS.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here